Monday, May 19, 2008

The Food Shelf

I had to think long and hard before I posted this blog because except for a very few close and personal friends.   I do not really talk about my financial situation.  For the most part Chris and I do ok.  We usually have just enough to keep creditors off our backs, pay our bills and feed our children....until recently.  Recently we have found ourselves in a situation that a lot of families like us are going through.  It is frightening and you find yourself seeing just how tenuous your grasp on financial matters are. 
This payperiod we have experienced that reality and as Monday rolled the harsh reality that making it to a Thursday payday, keeping our kids fed and gas in the car were not going to happen.  It is a disheartening thing. 
We really had exhausted all the options at this point.  Bottles had been take back, all change had been found and sorted. 
The frustration mounted and I decided to call the food shelf.  (this is our local one, not the county)  a very pleasant woman answered the phone.  I told her my name and relayed the situation that I was in.  She was very sympathetic and understanding.  She told me that she could give us 2-3 days worth of food.  Just what we need.  She did not make me feel like an awful person, she even asked me if we needed diapers.  (we did not)
It is extremely personal to share this situation but I want people to know that the help is out there.  There is nothing wrong with asking for help every once in awhile.  Chris and I are going to rebound from this we always do.  We will adjust our spending to what our paychecks can handle.  We will feed our children and We won't live in shame that we put our children over our pride.  When things are better I look forward to donating so that some other Mother/Father who is out there...stressed wondering where there kids next meal is coming from might pick up the phone and make the same call I did.

Blogged with the Flock Browser

2 comments:

markira said...

It's a brave thing to admit when you have had to reach out and ask for help. These systems are in place for a reason, and people who are only accepting the help when they have exhausted every other option are, in my opinion, exactly what that reason is.

It took me a long time after the divorce, of struggling very hard and existing in barely livable temperatures in the winter before I screwed up the courage to apply for fuel assistance. It was such a hard decision to make, but it has made a lot of difference. It was (and is) embarrassing to talk about, and I don't tell a lot of people, either.

Hugs & love, girlie.

desirae said...

I sympathize.. Many a week my kids are eating bread and butter as a staple, and raman noodles for a full course meal.. The fuel light is ALWAYS on.. (10 dollars just does not get you anywhere anymore.) Our paycheck is spent weeks before we get it.. I just keep hoping to see a light at the end of the tunnel.. (I'm pretty sure the only way to this light is to win the lottery, which probably means I should start playing the lottery.)I guess I'll walk to the gas station and start taking pennies out of the leave a penny take a penny dish, until I have enough.. (I wonder if the gas station people would have me arrested for taking a pennies for no real reason.)

 
template by suckmylolly.com flower brushes by gvalkyrie.deviantart.com